Virginia Tech®home

MSE Lab Access Requirements

Independent access to MSE Lab Facilities may be granted to qualified graduate student researchers within Virginia Tech (the same rules apply for any faculty research - see undergraduate policies at bottom of page).  MSE graduate students are allowed 24/7 access, while access for other (non-MSE) graduate students is restricted to normal business hours (8 AM to 5 PM, Monday-Friday).  Access for non-MSE graduate students is also restricted to one individual per research group, except in cases where an explicit alternate agreement exists with MSE.  Continued access is also contingent on following all MSE Lab Specific Practices, as detailed here:  MSE Lab Specific Practices (pdf)

Graduate researchers requesting access must complete safety and equipment training and file associated paperwork as follows: 

  1. General Laboratory Safety Training must be updated ANNUALLY (this supersedes EHS requirements for training every four years).

  2. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Safety Training must be current with EHS.

  3. Portable Fire Extinguisher Safety Training must be current with EHS.

  4. ONLY for X-Ray Diffractometer [124 Holden] access: Analytical X-Ray Safety Training and X-ray Instrument Training.
    Environmental Health and Safety Training
    EHS Safety Management System 

All graduate students must also complete the following paperwork:

  1.  Key/Code Access Form (links below), filed with MSE Department Office, for any needs to enter facilities.
     MSE Facilities Key Request Form (MSE Personnel)
     MSE Facilities Key Request Form (NON-MSE Personnel)
     Policy 5620:  Access Control:  Key Control Policy
  2.  CHP Training Documentation Form, filed with MSE Safety Officer.
    This form indicates your:
                    a.    Knowledge of the University Chemical Hygiene Plan [CHP]
                    b.    Access to OSHA Chemical Hazards Standard [29 CFR 1910.1450]
                    c.    Ability to locate Materials Safety Data Sheets [MSDS] in all labs you work in.
                    d.    Knowledge of Laboratory Specific Documentation in all labs you work in.
  3.  Completion of MSE Emergency Action Plan Compliance Form,  filed with MSE Safety Officer, for facilities where you work after reading the MSE Emergency Action Plan.
  4.   Completion of MSE Equipment Use & Training Form, filed with MSE Lab Manager, for access to departmental teaching laboratories (NOT advisors’ research labs).
    Training on departmental equipment is available by request from the MSE lab manager, but documented peer training by other qualified personnel is also acceptable for most devices.
  5.  For processes that may involve active chemical or physical change of the materials (reactions, evolution of volatile components, or similar energetic transitions) in furnaces, vessels, or other equipment, an Experimental Protocol Form must be filed in advance before the work is attempted, & approved by the Lab Manager.

Undergraduate Student Access to MSE Lab Facilities

  1. MSE Undergraduates, and other undergraduates working directly for MSE faculty, are allowed access to laboratories only under approved supervision.  This may include supervision by an assigned departmental representative, or by other qualified personnel with approved access (see above).  An access schedule when MSE personnel are available for this purpose is posted every semester outside 154A Randolph Hall.  Non-MSE undergraduates are not allowed such access without a formal working relationship with an MSE faculty member.

  2. MSE Undergraduates are provided additional periodic safety training in required courses including MSE3314 (Lab I), MSE4424 (Lab II), and MSE4085 (Senior Design).  Any other students must demonstrate equivalent knowledge of safety procedures through completion of the training courses noted above for graduate students.