- Science underlying the synthesis and stability of advanced materials for aerospace, energy storage, optoelectronics, and other industries
- Developing a detailed atomic-level understanding of the mass transport mechanisms, chemical reaction kinetics, and material thermodynamics controlling morphological, compositional, and structural evolution of materials.
- 2002: Ph.D. in materials science and engineering from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- 1996: Master’s degree in mechanical engineering from Southern Illinois University Carbondale
- 1995: Bachelor’s degree in metallurgickal engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology Madras in India
Honors and awards
- AVS ambassador, 37th Brazilian Congress on Vacuum Applications in Industry and Science
- Program chair and general chair, ICMCTF 2015 & 2016
- Alumni Achievement Award, Southern Illinois University at Carbondale (2010).
- Paul H. Holloway Young Investigator Award, AVS International Conference. (2009).
- Best Paper Award, IBM Materials Research Community (2008).
- Ross J. Martin Award, outstanding doctoral thesis, College of Engineering, UIUC (2003).
- Gold medal, Graduate Student Award, MRS spring meeting, San Francisco, CA (2001).
- Mavis Memorial Fund Scholarship, College of Engineering, UIUC (2001).
- Ivan Racheff award, outstanding graduate research, Deptartment of Materials Science, UIUC (2000).
- Proposal reviewer (partial list): Academy of Finland, AFOSR, DOE, ERC (EU), NSF, NSERC (Canada), ONR, and WWTF (Austria)
- Journal referee (partial list): ACS Nano, Nano Lett., Nature, Nature Materials, PRL, Science
- Reviewer, user proposals submitted to: CINT (Albuquerque), LBNL, NSLS-II at BNL
- Organizer/co-organizer symposia//sessions (partial list): AVS, MRS, ICMCTF
- Editorial board member: Vacuum (Elsevier), Scientific Reports; editor, MRS Fall meeting, Symposium NN Proceedings (2008); guest editor, ICMCTF, San Diego, CA (2013).